Sunday 10 May 2015

How to survive S104 Exploring Science


Apparently S104 is said to be one of the hardest Open University level one modules. I can certainly see how this might be the case. However I believe that it is also extremely rewarding and surviving it will definitely motivate you for continuing your studies.

I am not a study expert and certainly not a brainiac but there are few bits of advice that I am hoping will help people studying S104. Some of the below are things that I should have done, but didn’t. Hopefully you can learn from my mistakes.

1.       Get ahead and stay ahead.
Oh I am a master of procrastination. I plan and organise but never ever stay ahead of my schedule. What I have learnt about myself is that I work best under pressure and leave things until last minute. Now… you definitely don’t want to do that with this module. You won’t have time for procrastination because you will constantly be under pressure. The best thing to do is start studying as soon as you’ve got your materials, don’t wait until the actual module start date. Try to get yourself ahead and stay ahead. It will give you some time to breathe and if your life ‘happens’ then you will have that bit of extra time to do things other than studying without feeling too much guilt.

2.       Make study cards as you go along.
I made little study cards that I used when preparing for the exam. The mistake I made was that I left it till the end. The best thing to do is making cards after each block. It will seal your knowledge and you will be able to use them when preparing for the exam.

 
 
3.       Have a go at the iCMAs.
I know things often change and get updated at the Open University but when I did S104 the iCMAs were not part of the assessment. I kept having a go at them until I had over 80% on each. They are a great practicing tool, especially when preparing for the exam.


4.       Find most efficient way of taking notes.
I personally did not take any notes just because I wanted to save time. Instead I took four different colours of highlighter and corresponding post-it notes. I assigned a category to each of the colours and bookmarked the blocks with post-its.This off course might not work for you so try a few different ways of taking notes at the beginning of the course and see what method is best for you.



5.      Activities.
Make sure to do the practice questions and activities throughout the module and have a go at them again before the exam. This is essential because you will never truly know if you understand the scientific concepts until you have a go at solving the problems and doing the calculations yourself.


6.       Download advice from your student website.
Do a bit of research on your student website and you will be surprised how much help there is. I found some percentage practice questions that one of the tutors posted, no one from my group even knew this existed! I believe there was also a study calendar that had ‘essential’ and ‘non-essential’ activities written down.


7.       Don’t worry too much.
I know it’s easier said than done but think about the knowledge you will have after finishing this module, not about how hard it is.  S104 covers so many sciences that it is bound you won’t like some of it and you might struggle with some of it. Don’t beat yourself up too much about that, ask your tutor for help. I am sure you will get there in the end. And even if not, then … oh wells! You will be fine even if you don’t understand one subject. I hated geology (booooooring) and could not grasp any of the quantum physics (this stuff is super interesting but a bit mental).

 

Good luck! Remember, if I did it, so can you J

 

No comments:

Post a Comment